Forgetting your camera at the other side of your road trip. GAH.
In any case, my Road Trip Post will have to wait until my camera is shipped to me from Ohio.
In the meantime…
Check out what’s been up with Rurality in the News*
- Despite our collective mental image of quaint family farms and lush fields, most rural communities are what city dwellers would call “pretty fucking ugly.” They’ve been the victim of an ugly little thing that architects and designers call Sprawl. You know the kind I’m describing: strip malls and fast food restaurants (except in rural areas, they’re dirtier, badly funded and badly maintained). But behold! ICMA recently published a document about Smart Growth in rural communities.
- Speaking of fast food… Is eating poorly a choice or an addiction? A recent study suggests junk food has addictive qualities. When you combine that with bad community design and a lack of access to healthy foods, it makes sense that rural populations are more obese than urban ones.
- Your Brain in the Wilderness. Neuroscientists decided to study what happens to your brain when you step away from electronics, digital communication, and, uh, society in general. The result? Reaching your Full Cognitive Potential.
- A new healthcare initiative is prescribing vegetables and conversation. Recipe for good health!
- Eilleen at Simple Green Frugal Co-Op questions whether you can be both frugal and generous. Seems like my rural friends have been doing this for years…
*Should I come up with a series title for this? I don’t ever want to be a reblogger, but because rurality is such a broad concept I think it’s useful to compile all these different subjects and articles into one place.